Associate Director of Operations at Rice University's Boniuk Institute
Special Instructions to Applicants: All interested applicants must attach a cover letter and a resume in the Supporting Documents section of the application in a PDF format. Please note that the applicant tracking system does not convert attachments in Word format successfully.
Salary Range: $100,000 to $110,000, depending on experience.
The Boniuk Institute for the Study and Advancement of Religious Tolerance is pleased to be hiring an Associate Director of Operations who will lead the operations of the Boniuk Institute, in particular developing plans and strategies to implement the vision of the faculty director. The associate director of operations will oversee administrative functions and general operations of the Institute including developing and implementing programs, leading the Boniuk Institute’s fundraising and external relations. The associate director of operations will also be responsible for overseeing marketing, administrative, and financial processes through the Boniuk Institute and the Religion and Public Life Program, currently houses in the Boniuk Institute, in addition to other programs and centers that will eventually be housed in the Boniuk Institute.
The AD of operations will have at least three direct reports related to marketing and communications, finance, and administrative operations. As one of three directors, the leader will be a key part of the leadership team of the Boniuk Institute, working closely with the research and academic program arms of the Boniuk Institute in light of a new strategic plan, which makes research central to the Institute’s mission.
The ideal candidate will be a Master’s or PhD-level who is a specialist in some of the following research areas: religious pluralism, religious tolerance, religion and race, and/or religion and gender. The candidate will have a track record of writing and marketing, experience leading teams, and setting up and managing complex administrative processes. This position will be ideal for someone who has strong interest in the work of the institute, enjoys setting up systems to streamline operations, and appreciates continuous change and growth.
This position will be based in Houston, Texas at Rice University and be partially remote. The candidate should expect to work a minimum of two days in the office per week.
- Master’s degree minimum and PhD preferred
- 5 years of experience in operations related to administration and finance functions, and/ or marketing and communications function to include some experience with budgets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presentation, teamwork, and influencing skills
- Excellent administrative organization skills
- Excellent analytical problem-solving skills, and the ability to think strategically and develop structure needed to ensure optimal performance of the Institute.
- Excellent problem-solving capability
- Ability to work collaboratively, internally and externally
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and adapt to a changing, fast-paced environment
- Good organization and creativity skills
- Ability to lead a team and effectively mentor other staff and students
- Desire to learn new things and the ability to learn quickly with minimal guidance
- Develops and executes strategies (with the associate director of research) for translating research and marketing events to meet organizational objectives
- With the Marketing and communications specialist, leads the execution of communication and brand strategy for the Institute and its programs incorporating appropriate channel
- Creates and manages processes to execute conferences and events
- Creates training documentation and conducts training sessions for the marketing and communications team and other stakeholders
- Responsible for staff including the recruitment, management, development, and retention of three or more staff
- Creates processes to help staff meet their goals and grow professionally.
- Works with the assistant director of operations to develop administrative processes, like file sharing and data management for fund development prospects
- Works with the finance administrator and the director to set budget, goals, and objectives in alignment with organizational goals
- Budget functions are especially with respect to the Institute’s endowment
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Higher education experience
- Strong experience with streamline processes
The online application portal can be found at: https://emdz.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/job/2465/?utm_medium=jobshare.
Rice University HR | Benefits: https://knowledgecafe.rice.edu/benefits
Rice Mission and Values: Mission and Values | Rice University
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Faculty and staff are expected (but not required) to have completed a full vaccination series for COVID-19 (currently defined as full course COVID-19 Vaccine (typically two shots of a WHO-approved COVID-19 Vaccine or one J&J) and a COVID-19 booster. Rice does not require documentation for COVID 19 vaccination at this time for faculty and staff. More information can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies